The JobMaker Hiring Credit scheme is an incentive for businesses to employ additional young job seekers aged 16 to 35 years.
Eligible employers can access the JobMaker Hiring Credit for each eligible additional employee they hire between 7 October 2020 and 6 October 2021.
Eligible employers key points for consideration:
- will be able to register with us from 6 December 2020. See Registering for JobMaker Hiring Credit.
- can claim payments from us in arrears from 1 February 2021. See JobMaker Hiring Credit key dates.
- can claim payments for eligible additional employees for up to 12 months from their employment start date.
- cannot claim JobKeeper and the JobMaker Hiring Credit at the same time.
Effect of other government payments
You cannot receive JobMaker Hiring Credits if you also receive a JobKeeper payment for a fortnight which started during the JobMaker period.
Employers who are receiving JobKeeper payments and would like to claim for the first JobMaker period, must not claim JobKeeper payments for the JobKeeper fortnight starting on or after 12 October 2020.
You may currently be claiming other Australian Government wage subsidies such as the:
- Supporting Apprentices and Trainees Wage subsidy
- Australian Apprentice Wage subsidy
- Boosting the Apprenticeship Commencements Wage subsidy
- Restart, Youth Bonus, Youth, Parents or Long-term Unemployed Wage Subsidies.
If you claim JobMaker Hiring Credits, you cannot also receive these other wage subsidies for an employee. More information is available at www.dese.gov.au/employment/financial-incentives-employersExternal Link.
Employers may be eligible for JobMaker Hiring Credit payments if all of the following apply.
- has registered for the JobMaker Hiring Credit scheme
- operates a business in Australia
- is a not-for-profit organisation operating in Australia
- is a deductible gift recipient (DGR) endorsed either as a public fund or for a public fund you operated under the Overseas Aid Gift Deductibility Scheme (DGR item 9.1.1) or for developed country relief (DGR item 9.1.2)
- holds an Australian business number (ABN)
- is registered for pay as you go (PAYG) withholding
- has not claimed JobKeeper payments for a fortnight that started during the JobMaker period
- is up to date with income tax and GST returns for the two years up to the end of the JobMaker period for which they are claiming
- satisfies the payroll increase and the headcount increase conditions
- satisfies reporting requirements, including up to date Single Touch Payroll (STP) reporting
- does not belong to one of the ineligible employer categories.
For more information on this scheme or to further understand your eligibility, please contact Quantiphy for further details